Yup! that’s right, eyelash extension adhesive can have formaldehyde in it…so how do you know if it does? Simple: if the lash studio tells you there is a 24 hr waiting period after you get your lashes done before you can get them wet. If the post care instructions include that then it is 100% certain the adhesive contains Formaldehyde. Formaldehyde can come in many forms: gas, liquid and solid however regardless of the form it comes in Formaldehyde is a known cancer causing compound. It is added to eyelash extension adhesive to extend the life of the adhesive so it doesn’t expire as quickly once the bottle is opened. So what can happen to you if there is Formaldehyde in the adhesive? the biggest concern is retinal burn – meaning that the toxic fumes from the adhesive causing a chemical burn on the iris. Sadly there is no regulatory body in Ontario ensuring that Formaldehyde is not in the adhesive. Most adhesives are coming in from China even if the name on the bottle does not sound like it is and most lash studios will buy this adhesive because it is much cheaper to purchase increasing their profit on the service. The best way to find out if there is Formaldehyde in the product is to ask: “do I need to wait to get them wet”….if the answer is yes then the adhesive has Formaldehyde and you need to cancel that appointment ASAP.
FCL only uses Medical Grade adhesive manufactured in Alberta, that is Formaldehyde free and is recognized by the CSA (Canadian Standards Act). You do not have to wait to get your lashes wet after an application with us as we can seal the lashes because there is no Formaldehyde in it. You can get them wet and not worry about a chemical burn so really it’s a win win.
Hope this helps!
Love & Lashes xo
You’ve decided to you want Eyelash Extensions so you pop on the internet and Google “Eyelash Extensions” and suddenly there’s a TON of information on the screen. There’s so many options, different price points and different types of material. Which type is for you? Here’s the coles notes on where to begin:
Classic Lashes: are called “Classics” because years ago these were the only option available. Singles, individuals or one by one are also names for Classic Lashes. They are applied to the natural lash one by one to create a very natural look meant to replace the need for mascara but without being obvious as eyelash extensions. The cost of a Full Set of Classic Lashes = $75
Hybrid Lashes: Hybrid lashes are a mix of classic lashes and volume lashes. They are fluffier and fuller than Classics for those that want something darker and has more impact than Classic Lashes. Both types of lashes (classic and volume) are mixed together to create an individual look for each person. The goal of the design is to open up the eye and frame it beautifully. Hybrid Lashes = $110 and is the client favourite of the 3 options.
Volume Lashes: Volume lashes also known as 3D Lashes, Russian Lashes or Russian Volume. Volume Lashes are not mixed with classic lashes and the whole lash line is filled with hand made “fans” to create a Fluffy Full Fantastic look. These are for those that want a look like strip lashes without taking them off every day. Volume Lashes = $140
FFF = Full Fluffy Fantastic!
You asked for ’em so we got ’em! HYBRID LASHESSSSS…ok so for those that didn’t ask for them and don’t know what they are. Here’s the scoop: Hybrid Eyelash Extensions are a mix of classic and 2 D volume lashes mixed together to create FFF (Full, Fluffy and Fantastic). Hybrid Lashes are fuller than classic lashes but still not “too much”. Classic lashes are applied single strand one by one, it’s like you found the Holy Grail of mascara…one that doesn’t run…..or flake….you wake up with it annnndddd don’t have to wash it off…..ever. Hybrid Lashes are more fluffy in appearance, slightly more obvious that perhaps you weren’t born with them and then stumbled upon the best mascara on Earth but with all the other benefits of classic lashes! The length of extensions is something that is discussed with the artist at the time of service, if you don’t want them too long – no problem! you an still have all the fluffy without the length.
Love & Lashes xo
Winter is definitely upon us and in a big way! Residents of Burlington and Toronto are headed South and looking for ways to simplify their vacation make up routine. After a few days a beautiful golden glow has developed and now it’s all about golden skin and a little lip gloss. But what about the eyes? mascara runs in the heat, and is a bitch to put on every morning but going without it is not good look. The solution to the problem? Classic Eyelash Extensions at our Burlington Studio or our Toronto Studio:
- you can absolutely get them wet, chlorine and salt water are no problem at all
- swim under water, no problem at all
- snorkel, dive….nothing to worry about
- classic lashes will hold up and spring back to their shape as soon as they are dry
- no burn from toxic fumes coming from the adhesive
- you look vacation pretty not vacation over done….no one should look like their wearing false lashes to the pool everyday.
Golden skin, lip stick and lashes………..vacation prep just got sooooooo much easier!
Love & Lashes xo
In Ontario there is a nail salon on basically every corner, you can go in without an appointment and have your nails, waxing, and lashes done without having to wait. It’s created an environment of “now” services, which is awesome however!! in order to do that these salons are using a high volume low product quality system in order to pull it off. It is NEVER a good idea to have your lashes done at a nail salon, there are no exceptions. It is with 100% certainty a GLUE not an adhesive is being used, an adhesive is formaldehyde free, toxin free with no fume. Nails Salons are using GLUE coming from Asia where the product is unregulated containing chemicals like formaldehyde that should not be around the eye….EVER. Here is what to look for:
- if you can walk in and get your lashes done without an appt
- tape instead of individually wrapped Gel patches are used underneath the eyes
- you can smell the glue, like a sharp burning smell
- your eyes water during the service from a burning feeling
- a fan is used in the room to burn off the fume and on your eyes while the service is being done
- the natural lashes are not prepped before application, there should be a 4 stage cleaning process
- the lashes applied are clusters, a tiny little bunch of synthetic lashes with a knot at the end. Clusters are used because they can placed along the the top of the lash line without isolating the natural hair.
- the service is done very quickly, because the clusters are plopped along the lash line the service takes very little time
- you are told you cannot get them wet for 24 to 48 hrs, that is because formaldehyde takes that amount of time to seal. Regulated ADHESIVE can be sealed right away so you don’t have to wait.
- you’re not provided with a little kit containing post care instructions, disposable mascara wands etc.
And there it is!!
Love & Lashes xo